City is Returning to Back-alley Garbage: Here's What You Need to Know
With the City set to return to back lane collection, MJ Independent asked Craig Hemingway, the Communications Director for the City of Moose Jaw, ten questions about the change.
Here they are; in their entirety:
1. On what day are people supposed to have their garbage cans in the backlane?
"Tuesday, May 1"
2. Does this also include recycling bins as well?
3. Why is this change necessary?
"City Council voted to restore alley collection to the areas that had transitioned to curbside August 1, 2017"
4. What schedule will garbage and recycling follow?
"Schedule stays the same."
5. Are we staying with the same zones?
6. When will weekly collection begin?
"Weekly collection will begin June 1, 2018 and run through end of September, 2018 Bi-weekly returns Monday, Oct.1"
7. When will the schedule be available for weekly pickup?
"We will issue the new collections schedules by mid-May"
8. Although it is not a bylaw, what would the City like people to do with their bins?
"Residents are asked to bring their bins back into their yards by 11:59pm on their respective collection day."
9. At the present time, the City has sent out a flyer regarding the changes; what is detailed in it?
"The flyer simply explains the change back to alley collection for affected residents, in addition to the reminders to bring the bins back in after collection. We also included the reminder about weekly collection beginning in June."
10. Do you have anything to add?
"We thank residents for their cooperation and encourage the reduction of recyclable materials that are still ending up in the landfill. For details on what can and can’t be recycled, they can visit this link: https://moosejaw.ca/engineering/public-works/recycling